ZERO-WASTE TAKEAWAY


When we tell people that we live the Zero Waste lifestyle, they often imagine us bidding farewell to “too-lazy-to-cook”, “little treats” and “takeaway” nights. In an attempt to dispel these views we tested our three favourite takeaway restaurants applying the Zero waste philosophy. (Let me tell you that took a lot of sacrifices haha).

So, here is the report of this week’s culinary craziness along with a few rules to follow helping things to run like clockwork


1st Rule for Zero-Wasting: Anticipate

As with all your Zero Waste shopping, you’ll need to bring your own containers. For example, for Japanese: hermetic containers for soup, different glass boxes for each menu and not to mention a small jar for soy sauce!

2nd Rule for Zero-Wasting: Buy Local

In addition to supporting the local economy and experiencing “real” families (not corporations or shareholders), restaurateurs are much more inclined to use your containers than the big chains. At Sushi Shop and Burger House (in Saint-Quentin), I just drop off my bag with my own containers and restaurateurs are kind enough to manage everything with the containers I’ve supplied. Then I get my bag back, filled and ready to go.


3rd Rule for Zero-Wasting: Bring the containers

Of course, this technique only works if we’re going to bring our own containers. So (with some exceptions), it doesn't always work for home delivery (my boxes would probably take all the space on the back of the bike anyway!). Two of my techniques are:
- I drop my bag at the restaurant, go run some errands and then pick up my order on the way back. 
- I get served directly (for example, at our local Italian Restaurant Aux caves d'Italie” which in reality is more of a catering service) and leave right away with my order. 

Of course, dropping by first is not always very convenient (personally I have yet to find it annoying but others might), but this system has its advantages:
-the glass boxes are oven, microwave and freezer suitable which makes them great to warm up or preserve the food. The practicality is pretty self-evident! 
-at these three restaurants, the food is prepared with fresh ingredients before our eyes (sometimes even using organic goods). 
-the shopkeepers are happy to save on their own packaging and are often intrigued by this approach. So much so that I get loads of extra Bolognese sauce and breadsticks at the Italian, 10% off on my order with the Japanese (this applies to all those who come pick up their order in store) and extra fries at the Burger House. Less plastic and more food, could that be any better? 



So there you have our culinary adventures of the week! Do you have any ideas for carrying pizzas, pies, cakes, and pastries? (Normally I make them myself but you never know I might feel peckish one day!) 

For now I re-use an insulated bag (that I got from an old diaper bag) for pastries that maintain their form well (pain au chocolat, etc.), but I haven’t found anything for large, creamy, dripping stuff. I'm waiting for your ideas! 

VERSION FRANÇAISE

Vous pourriez aimer

0 comments